Wednesday, April 25, 2007

This is it...

I am now sitting, or well standing at the Singapore airport. Since many international flights go through this airport, it has many "transit" amenities, such as free internet, free movies, and if I was here long enough, I could have even gotten a free city tour!!!

I have so far been on two flights, totaling less then 3 hours. I will soon embark on a 21 hour journey, including a stop over in Germany before I am officially on U.S. soil again. I do think its silly that my frist flight lasted less then 45 minutes, yet I needed to be at the airport 2 hours in advance. But I digress.

Last night, in hopes to prove to myself that I can do things on my own, I ventured off on a motorbike to one of the backpacker areas, in hopes to get my nails done and get some good grub. I did both. Upon eating, I met a little Cambodian boy, who earlier in the evening was mocking me as he watched me get my nails done through the glass. Before I knew it, he and I were sharing the same plate of food. (I offered, don't worry). It was one of those one of a kind moments, I will never forget. The same goes for the ride back to the hotel. The hotel, was about a 15 minute motorbike ride away. I am very big though with trying new things. While I had utilized tuk-tuk's quite a bit in Thailand, I had not used the cyclo(which essentially is a bike in back and one lougne seat in front), which is the Vietnamese and apparently cambodian transport of choice, and figured this was my last chance. So after we agreed on $1.50 we head off towards my hotel. After trying his hardest to speak English, and about 20 minutes later, he is sweating bullets and panting. He tells me I should take a motorbike, (although what I heard was Motorbike???). We found some motorbike drivers who would gladly take me to my final destination. As I got on the motorbike, unsure of if I am going to my hotel, or being passed off in a series of transports until my final destination in some type of female slave trade, the cyclo driver asks for his money(by using the universal money signal). I shook my head no. I was not in the desired destination, and I was terrified. He told me to go back on the cyclo, and we were off again. He started muttering alot, and getting really mad, and finally said $10. I said NO WAY. This went on for a few minutes, through a very dark side street. I was really getting nervous at this time. But at the same time, he is a driver in a city, and I showed him both the address of the hotel and the physical location of the hotel, and he didn't seem to have a problem with it when we were first discussing prices. Not only is it a famous hotel, but it is also the tallest building in the city. There should have been no way, that he was unsure of what he was getting himself into. Either way, we arrived at an intersection with more motorbike drivers, and after I refused to pay $10 for a full ride to the hotel, he put me on a motorbike and then asked for money again. I gave him half of what we had agreed on. Then the motorbike driver charged me $1. While I spent 25 cents more then I intended, I did have piece of mind that the motorbike would not decide to get tired, and give up mid way. I arrived safely at my destination, for a long needed sleep.

I think that was the only time in my entire 2 months stay in South East Asia, where I was moderately worried about my safety. There have been times where I was a little concerned, but this tops the list. Of course, this occured in a city, thus increasing my hatred for cities. (You might say, "but Lacy, you are moving to San Fransisco" and to that I will respond, "no I am actually moving to Berkeley, or another suburb, so I get the amenities of the city without living within its confines.") Also though, if that was the scariest, or most unsafe experience of my trip, I'd say that means it was a mighty successful, safe and happy trip overall. Don't ya think?

1 comment:

KFP said...

Wow, I can't believe that it's coming to an end. Thanks for keeping such a detailed and descriptive blog; I had the opportunity to live vicariously through you. Will you keep a new blog talking about teaching in California? Please do.

Congratualtions, Lacy, you made it through Asia, on your own. You should be very proud.